You know you have a million great stories to tell, but you’re not sure how to get going, or how to organize the stories into a coherent narrative. You want to share your life’s highs and lows with others, whether just friends and family or the whole wide world, but you’re not sure what to include and what to leave out. You know how to write your story descriptively and chronologically, but you’d like to think creatively about using narrative techniques like flashback, internal monologue, dialogue and detail to bring the reader along with you into the most powerful scenes of your life. You want the support and encouragement of a circle of women all working together to bring out the best in each other’s writing.
Spark your creative fires while enjoying the hospitality of the beautiful Lenox Rookwood Inn. Find new entries into the story of your life in a warm, supportive atmosphere. Bring your memoir in progress, your ideas, or just your enthusiasm to these intensive weekend writing workshops that will provide structure and support for a memoirist in any stage of the writing journey, from working with the initial concept of the memoir to fine-tuning the details and narrative arc.
Your Workshop Leader
Weekend Writing Retreats
(June 5 – 7, 2015; September 25 – 27, 2015 & January 15-17, 2016)
Retreats include Friday night welcome reception (BYOB), breakfast on Saturday and Sunday, lunch Saturday and Sunday, breaks, and instruction. All inclusive rate of $718.25 per person for a standard room or $835.50 for a deluxe room per person; add $467 per weekend for a second per (commuter fee is $425/weekend; limited commuter slots). Discounts for early bird registration and multiple weekends. There will also be an optional Saturday night dinner with entertainment.
Call us at 800.223.9750 to register.
1. Make Plans for your Spring and/or Summer Vacations. Tanglewood tickets are on sale to the public so you can call the Boston Symphony or go to their website and order your tickets for Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga, the Symphony or the Boston Pops, for Bernadette Peters, Idina Mendez, or a host of other wonderful concerts.After that, go to our website (or call us at 800.223.9750) and book your room.
2. If music isn’t your thing, how about theatre or dance? The Berkshires offers different types of theater through its different companies: Berkshire Theatre Group (in Stockbridge and Pittsfield), Barrington Stage (two venues in Pittsfield), Shakespeare & Company (two venues in Lenox), the Williamstown Theatre Festival or Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival.
3. Perhaps you enjoy the white stuff when its prepared properly. There are great locations for downhill and cross country skiing near the inn as well as opportunities for snowshoeing and snow tubing. Some offer rentals and many have places to warm up with a hot chocolate. We promise to have plenty waiting for you at the in along with a delicious afternoon treat.
4. Prefer to cuddle up with that special person in front of a beautiful fire? Book one of our fireplace rooms, bring your special honey and we will supply the romantic ambiance. Check out our packages on our website for some special goodies (Sweetheart Package, Spa Indulgence Package for example) to add to your visit.
5. Bring your BFF(s) and have a girls weekend. We can arrange for massages, yoga classes, meditation for you at the inn. We have jigsaw puzzles, board games,cozy robes to make your slumber party extra special!
6. Did you know that March is Berkshire Festival of Women Writers’ 5th Anniversary? What that means is that there are literally tons of workshops and readings by women for women (and men) throughout the month of March. In addition, The Rookwood Inn will be co-sponsoring a three part series on memoir writing in conjunction with the Festival. The first weekend will be June 5, 6, & 7th at The Rookwood. Details will be coming out soon! Space is limited so if you’e interested, email me so I can get you the information soon!
As the days get shorter and the temperatures drop, I think of the shortest day of the year — the winter solstice.
Every major religion has a festival/holiday, which takes place at this time of year, and most include some form of celebration toward light. From Chanukah to Christmas to Kwanza, all of us at The Rookwood Inn wish you and yours much light, laughter, good health, happiness and peace this holiday season.
Doing some last minute shopping?
If you’re still looking for the perfect gift for someone special, there’s no need to fight the crowds in the malls or stores. A Rookwood Inn gift certificate is that perfect one-size fits all present…and it really does!
A special gift for booking early —
We are also offering a special deal for those who reserve for the summer early this year. Make your summer reservations by December 31st, and we’ll throw in a stay in a standard or deluxe room for $99 per night (plus tax & gratuity) between now and May 15 ($149 per night for mini suites). This offer is good for all new reservations and is not valid on New Years’ eve or Valentine’s/Presidents Weekend. It may not be combined with gift cards or any other promotion or special.
Don’t forget to check out our blog and our e-newsletter, Rookwood Ramblings.
Have a Happy Holidays and a wonderful New Year!
Looking forward to welcoming you back in 2015!
For any new, direct bookings in the month of February, The Rookwood Inn will add gourmet chocolates, sparkling cider, and a gorgeous bouquet of flowers to your luxurious room, free of charge.
Sweep the love of your life off his or her feet with a surprise getaway to our peaceful, fairy-tale Berkshires bed and breakfast in the charming village of Lenox, Massachusetts.
On the Road to Romance
Snuggle up in front of the fireplace in our parlor.
Take a romantic snow shoe hike or cross country ski the nearby trails and parks.
Enjoy a night out at one of Lenox’s many delicious restaurants or a night in, uninterrupted by the outside world’s worries and responsibilities.
Valentine’s Day (or any other February night) at The Rookwood Inn is sure to be an irreplaceable and treasured memory.
New February reservations only, please. Not to be combined with any other discounts or gift cards. Photo Credit: CC Image Courtesy of Liz West.
Do you love extreme sports? Then you need to be in Lenox to see the 2013/14 Banff Mountain Film Festival. Take a look at this preview of some of the films you will be able to see February 14 and 15th. During each of these two nights, the Arcadian Shop of Lenox will present more than 3 hours of award winning films from this year’s Banff Mountain Film Festival. Each night will have a different lineup, with only a few of the most popular movies being repeated.
Pre-film you may enjoy a dinner menu and baked goods offered by the Lenox Crew Team or take your sweetheart to dine at one of Lenox’s fantastic restaurants. During the intermission you’ll still have a chance to support the Crew team by purchasing baked goods and refreshments.
Tickets are $12 and may be purchased directly through the Arcadian Shop. If you purchase them online the shop will remove the freight when they complete the sale on their end. All tickets will be held at the door and may be picked up before hte show on either night. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the films begin at 7 p.m.
The performances will be held at the Duffin Theatre, Lenox Middle and High School, 197 East Street, Lenox, MA.
Reserve your room for this special weekend at The Rookwood Inn and we’ll take off the price of your tickets (show us you purchased them) and have a special Valentine’s Day special gift waiting for you in your room. Mention Banff Special when booking your reservations.
For the fourth year in a row, The Rookwood Inn is offering its rooms as part of the B&Bs for Vets and as our way of thanking our military for their service. Every one of our 20 rooms is available at no cost for the night of November 10 to active, reserve, discharged and retired military personnel, with proof of service. The Rookwood Inn is also offering additional consecutive nights (up to three) for 50% off the regular winter rates.
Arrive at The Rookwood and enjoy our afternoon refreshments. Last year, our regular offerings were augmented by Bartlett’s Orchards (a fantastic apple orchard and farm stand in Richmond, MA – just over the mountain from the inn), and a very generous baker and friend of The Rookwood Inn, Terrill. Then you’re off on your own for a delicious dinner in one of the great restaurants in and around Lenox.
Awaken in your comfy room on Veteran’s Day to the aromas of one of our delicious breakfasts. You can choose a table for just the two of you, or decide to share with a fellow service man or woman. When it’s time to go, you’ll leave with wonderful memories and some additional thank you for protecting us gifts and our desire that you’ll be back to stay another time. B&Bs for Vets – our way of saying thanks for taking care of us!
We turned our clocks back this past Saturday night and many of us, myself included, are in desperate need of that lost hour. The positive part of Daylight Savings Time is that as I sit at my computer writing this blog at 6 pm it is still light out! This brings up a whole lot of reasons why an escape from your early spring routines with a Rookwood Inn Escape is perfect at this time of year!
The tranquility of our location lends itself to a feeling of complete relaxation. You can meditate, if you want, or add a massage to enhance the relaxation. Pick up that book or magazine you’ve wanted to read for months and actually start, or finish, it. Visit Colorful Stitches in Lenox Village to find that special wool for a project or learn how to create your own work of art and come back to The Rookwood Inn to knit or crochet in front of a cozy fire. Visit Rhythms or Kripalu for a yoga class or workshop. Take a hike and explore flowers, trees, birds and animals awakening from their winter hibernation. Returning birds can be seen (we have a huge pileated woodpecker here at The Rookwood).
Perhaps you prefer culture. Shakespeare & Company is in production, the Berkshire International Film Festival is in swing, and there is always a concert or movie to be found. The Clark Art Museum is open and through May offers free admission to its wonderful exhibits.
We’ve turned our winter special into a Spring in the Berkshires special valid through April. Stay any two nights in a standard or deluxe room for $299 (plus tax and gratuity) or in a mini suite for $499 (plus tax and gratuity). Our delicious breakfasts and afternoon refreshments are included, as is our warm welcoming service.
Whatever the season, you’ll find the reason to visit The Rookwood Inn, Lenox, and the Berkshires!